My Blogs (olelog) are mainly based on my daily
reading of earth science news.
Here on whatonearth.olehnielsen.dk I try to weave
some of the pieces together to a greater whole with added background info.
Possible Causes for Global Sea-level Rise
- Global warming (through thermal expansion of ocean water and melting of
- Plate tectonics (sea-floor spreading rates, colision of continents and ocean
- Superplumes (emplacement of oceanic plateaus).
- Erosion and sedimentatiom (e.g. shoreline location)
- Variations in water volume of groundwater and lakes
Notes: 1 and 5 control the volume of water in the ocean.
2, 3 and 4 control the volume of ocean basins
2 and 3 work on a long term geological scale.They may have been responsible
for the extraordinary high global sea-level in the Cretacious.
Possible Effects of Sea-level Rise
- Permanent inundation of low-lying islands (including some island states)
- Coastal inundation and coastal erosion
- Decline in soil and water quality (surface water and groundwater)
- Reactivating of volcanoes situated near sea level
Last modified on
If you have any problems with this page or wish
to comment on the site, please e-mail the webmaster